The school that my kids attend, have a program for the incoming kindergartners called, Kindergarten Jump start. A few weeks before school starts, the kindergartners have the option of going every day for 3 weeks to kind of get a feel for what school will be like. It's not as long as real school will be, but it is to help them ease into kindergarten, preventing the first day from being so horrible on all involved, the teacher, the child, and the parent. For Austin, I knew it wouldn't be scary to start school, he's already so independent, and has watched Logan do everything first. So, of course he is always wanting to do the same. But I still took him because I knew he'd love it. Sadly I didn't get any pictures that morning, but he was happy, and I was sad. I cried a little, but nothing like last year with Logan, only because Austin is so independent, and not scared at all. I knew he'd be happy, and have the time of his life... and he did. :)
The problem was what I had scheduled for later that afternoon...
It was a BIG day for this little guy. A few weeks before, we took him to the doctor because we had noticed some sort of rash growing around his eczema spots behind his knee and in the armpit. It turns out it was molluscum Contagiosum... WHAT?! I was devastated. I felt like the worst mom in the world, but apparently it's common. It can come from swimming pools because it is a bacteria that the chlorine cannot kill. GROSS! It also was around his eczema because the skin is weaker in those areas. Luckily, it's not a painful rash, HOWEVER, the way to remove them is another story. They TRY to numb the area with some emla cream, then literally scrape and dig them out. IT WAS AWFUL!! My Austin is not a wimp, in fact I think he has a pretty darn high pain tolerance. So, when he was screaming and crying in pain as they continued to do this to him, I was holding back the tears. The blood all over the place didn't help matters. Not to mention, he had this in TWO areas, so they had to torture him, then have him turn over and lift up his arm knowing it was about to happen all over again! All I can say, is bless his freaking heart, because HE WAS BRAVE!! Even though he did exactly as the doctor was asking, he was crying how badly he didn't want them to do that again. It was heartbreaking.
I wish so badly that this story ended up happy, but it's not even over yet. Long story long, a few weeks after, we noticed one had become infected, and the doctor had missed some. Of course, Austin didn't mention the pain until a Saturday night about 8 when he said he couldn't sleep because his leg hurt so bad. Like I said... a high pain tolerance. I'm sure he had been hurting at least a few days, but doesn't say anything until he can't stand it any longer. So, off to the doctor we went. Needless to say, Austin was terrified. When we finally got into the doctors office about 10 PM, (Austin was exhausted), he told me what I already knew... it was infected. He had to actually pop it to get everything out, (Austin screamed & cried), to try and help it along. He had it tested for MRSA, (pronounced mersa), put him on 2 antibiotics just in case it was, plus bactroban cream, which terrified me. Fortunately, we found out Monday morning that it was not MRSA! (YAY!)
Once again, I wish I could say this was over... but it's not. We ended up having to take him in AGAIN for another one being infected. I don't understand how this could keep happening... shouldn't the antibiotics prevent the other ones from infecting?! Not to mention, I've been taknig care of them exactly how I am supposed to! Anyway, this was only a few days ago, so we are STILL, (after a more than a month ago), trying to get rid of this stupid problem. Ugh!!

2 comments:
Oh hun!!! My heart just breaks for the poor guy!!!! I would be so frustrated by now! The doctors have NO idea why it keeps getting infected?!?!
Ethan had molluscum, as well, in several places; however, his doctor told me just to leave it alone, that it wouldn't hurt anything and that it would eventually go away...and it did one year later. Going through that process you did would've been very hard...I'm sorry. ;( I wonder if their cases were different or something... ?
Post a Comment