Starvation Reservoir was a different experience this year. The weather was RAINY! However, it would go from a huge downpour to sunshine and warmth in a matter of minutes, back and forth. It was crazy Utah weather, what can I say. Despite of the weather, it was still the most fun year so far. Each year gets better and better as the kids get older.
So much fun with cousins, (close and extended), camping, yummy food, beautiful views, and fishing = one successful Labor Day Weekend!
In the tent, hiding from the lightning/thunderstorm. Despite the smile on his face, Austin was terrified. I can't think of a time I've seen him cry and literally freak out in his life, ever. He's had a fear of lightning lately, so when it was going crazy, and all we had for cover was the tent, he went crazy too. I could barely contain him in the tent. He was screaming about not wanting to die, he wanted to go home, he went on and on with the saddest tears I've ever seen. All I could do was try to hold him down and tell him comforting things, we prayed, we held onto each other. Eventually he calmed down, the sun came out, and we were able to go back down and enjoy the beach.
Uncle Dell and Austin
collecting "berries"
While Jason and Logan went night fishing until about midnight, Austin, Sadie, and I got to go crawdad catching. Austin got pretty good at it, and loved playing with them. I, on the other hand, was disgusted. Ha!
I wouldn't be surprised if Logan never forgets this Labor Day weekend. Fishing is his love, and he proved to us that he could fish for literally hours and hours, and never tire of it. Jason's Great Uncle John offered to take Jason and Logan out fishing, and that was the last I saw of them that weekend. They went night fishing Saturday night, then woke up Sunday morning to go out fishing way before anyone woke up, came back for a quick breakfast, and headed right back out on the boat until about 4 that afternoon. And Logan still wanted to fish! He caught a bunch and was so excited about it!
I have to add one more story about Austin so I never forget. I wish I had a picture of Austin with Jason's Great Uncle Ferrel, but I had sent the camera on the fishing boat with Jason. Anyway, the morning that Jason was fishing with Logan, I woke up a little late cause Austin went out to play without waking me up and Sadie slept in. So, when I finally did get up and head to the bathroom, Jason's Aunt Karen was telling me that there was a missionary out there telling Ferrel all about coffee and how bad it is for you. I was so confused as to why missionaries would be there since we were camping, but for some reason still thought there must be real missionaries out there. To my surprise, when I walked towards the huge pavilion, I spotted my little "missionary" Austin sitting with Ferrel having quite the conversation. For those of you reading this that don't know, Great Uncle Ferrel is probably in his 80's, (unfortunately I don't know his exact age), and NOT a member of the LDS church. According to everyone that was around, they had a conversation about church and why coffee is bad for about an hour! Austin told him that Jesus tells us not to drink it, and apparently poured his hot chocolate into his coffee saying that it was okay now. They seemed to have quite the debate about church as well. Ferrel kept telling him he needs to go to "his church", and Austin would say he no, you need to go to mine. Luckily for us, Ferrel got a kick out of it, and later told me jokingly that he wouldn't know what he would have done without Austin showing him how to put chocolate into his drinks instead of coffee. He was the hit of the trip with that discussion for everyone! I only wish I was awake for it all. For the rest of the day, Ferrel kept an eye on Austin laughing about what had gone on, and before leaving for the weekend had me take a picture with his camera of the two of them together so he could remember Austin. I'm sad I don't have that picture. I'm hoping that next year Ferrel might bring me a copy. Austin may give me trouble a lot of the time with his energy and crazy personality, but he definitely seems to leave an impact on people's lives. He was a great example to me that day for standing up for what you believe in, and not being afraid to speak his mind. That little guy of mine amazes me every day.





















No comments:
Post a Comment