I don't want this post to be a downer, not at all, but I feel like just being honest. So, here goes- bear with me... (just remember, I'm not a writer, so if you are, don't hate me for all my mistakes, rambling, and most likely, nonsense.)
Growing up, Memorial day was a fun day spent with the cousins, and all of the extended family down in Sanpete county. We started the day at the Manti cemetery, and worked our way through the county to the Fairview cemetery. Followed by a great lunch and fun times with cousins. We never spent too much time at the cemeteries, just long enough to put some flowers down, and enjoy the drive. At the time, I never really understood exactly why we did this...
until today.
I know, I'm old, and I should have realized by now the point to this tradition, but as a kid, I just saw it as a weekend spent at Grandma's house. I was oblivious. Since I've been married, I don't think we've spent our Memorial days in Fairview. We've been spending them with my in-laws, which is equally important, I promise I realize this. But, we most likely wouldn't have gone to Fairview today if it wasn't for my dad telling me we should. That is one of the things that makes me sad. My Grandma is 86, and cute as can be. She is quite a go-getter, and I look up to her in many ways. Although, I don't feel as though I've ever really gotten to "know" her. And THAT makes me sad. I can't say I don't have time to try, she's not on her death bed or anything, she's just not the Grandma I remember as a kid, which is normal. And today I realized all the time I've had in the past years to make the short drive to Fairview, and get to know my Grandma Mower. My kids deserve to know her, and now that I'm wanting to visit, I feel as though we would be more of a burden than a good visit.
Anyway, my husband didn't grow up visiting cemeteries on Memorial Day, so he seems to not think it's a good idea. However, being the great supportive husband that he is, he didn't question me when I said that I thought we should go. In fact, he took the initiative and talked with my boys about the reason we were about to visit the unfamiliar cemetery. It was then that I realized the importance, and made up my mind that my kids would grow up visiting cemeteries like I did. Not only did I want them to know of the family members that died before us, but realize it is a day to remember all the heroes of our nation, from the past, present, and future. The lives that have been lost for our freedom. I have such a love for those that go to war, or even just join, and I have no idea how to instill this into my kids. But, from today's experience, I want to do my best to try. Manti's cemetery is always so impressive with the flags and everything they do for Memorial Day, so I will plan on visiting there for sure next year. I want to take pictures of the cemetery, and use them as a reminder for my little family the significance of remembering our heroes.
I guess today was a day of such nostalgia because, like I mentioned before, I don't think we've visited Fairview for Memorial Day since we've been married, and it obviously brought back a lot of memories. The sad thing was, it was because of how different today was than it used to be. Instead of the huge family gathering, it was just my parents, my Grandma, and my little family. Luckily a couple of my close cousins knew we would be there, so they made a quick stop to say hi. Other than that, it was not even close to the holiday I remember it being. I felt so old as we drove by certain places, and like my parents and grandparents used to do, I wanted to retell all the stories I heard while growing up. Seriously, when did all this change happen?? I don't know why, but it was kind of an emotional day for me, and I hope I can make it a much better, and more of a meaningful day for my kids next year.
Growing up, Memorial day was a fun day spent with the cousins, and all of the extended family down in Sanpete county. We started the day at the Manti cemetery, and worked our way through the county to the Fairview cemetery. Followed by a great lunch and fun times with cousins. We never spent too much time at the cemeteries, just long enough to put some flowers down, and enjoy the drive. At the time, I never really understood exactly why we did this...
until today.
I know, I'm old, and I should have realized by now the point to this tradition, but as a kid, I just saw it as a weekend spent at Grandma's house. I was oblivious. Since I've been married, I don't think we've spent our Memorial days in Fairview. We've been spending them with my in-laws, which is equally important, I promise I realize this. But, we most likely wouldn't have gone to Fairview today if it wasn't for my dad telling me we should. That is one of the things that makes me sad. My Grandma is 86, and cute as can be. She is quite a go-getter, and I look up to her in many ways. Although, I don't feel as though I've ever really gotten to "know" her. And THAT makes me sad. I can't say I don't have time to try, she's not on her death bed or anything, she's just not the Grandma I remember as a kid, which is normal. And today I realized all the time I've had in the past years to make the short drive to Fairview, and get to know my Grandma Mower. My kids deserve to know her, and now that I'm wanting to visit, I feel as though we would be more of a burden than a good visit.
Anyway, my husband didn't grow up visiting cemeteries on Memorial Day, so he seems to not think it's a good idea. However, being the great supportive husband that he is, he didn't question me when I said that I thought we should go. In fact, he took the initiative and talked with my boys about the reason we were about to visit the unfamiliar cemetery. It was then that I realized the importance, and made up my mind that my kids would grow up visiting cemeteries like I did. Not only did I want them to know of the family members that died before us, but realize it is a day to remember all the heroes of our nation, from the past, present, and future. The lives that have been lost for our freedom. I have such a love for those that go to war, or even just join, and I have no idea how to instill this into my kids. But, from today's experience, I want to do my best to try. Manti's cemetery is always so impressive with the flags and everything they do for Memorial Day, so I will plan on visiting there for sure next year. I want to take pictures of the cemetery, and use them as a reminder for my little family the significance of remembering our heroes.
I guess today was a day of such nostalgia because, like I mentioned before, I don't think we've visited Fairview for Memorial Day since we've been married, and it obviously brought back a lot of memories. The sad thing was, it was because of how different today was than it used to be. Instead of the huge family gathering, it was just my parents, my Grandma, and my little family. Luckily a couple of my close cousins knew we would be there, so they made a quick stop to say hi. Other than that, it was not even close to the holiday I remember it being. I felt so old as we drove by certain places, and like my parents and grandparents used to do, I wanted to retell all the stories I heard while growing up. Seriously, when did all this change happen?? I don't know why, but it was kind of an emotional day for me, and I hope I can make it a much better, and more of a meaningful day for my kids next year.





I know I'm sounding dramatic, but this is a day I will most likely remember for a long time.





5 comments:
I love the pics!! I'm guessing this is in Fairview....the font is all messed up in the beginning so I can't read it. Your post makes me think of my grandma in Wyoming and her big farm. I have lots of memories of it!
I know what you mean, we used to visit the Moroni Cemetery. Your post is beatiful! Your kids are so lucky to have a mom who cares about her history and the people who made her who she is today. Love you!
I'm with you 100%. I grew up with it, Ryan didn't. I went with my family this year and haven't done since I was married. It was wonderful and I decided to make it our family tradition as well. I think it's important to remember our passed loved ones and to meet together and talk about them and it's a form of devotion to go to their burial place and take the time to remember them with flowers, etc. and sharing stories and memories.
Yay for us Bonnie!
P.S. Do you still want me to do your blog?
Change is so hard. Our family parties are not at all like they used to be. It makes me sad.
Not overly dramatic AT ALL, Bonnie. I think it's so important to ponder and reflect...I think the world moves so much faster than it used to...and we miss out on so much when we don't stop and REMEMBER...then try and teach our kids to do the same. I completely understood your thoughts here and APPRECIATE them because I wish and wonder the same things. Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment